The team inbox is your flow's shared view into different types of activity. The team inbox items spur conversations, allowing your team to react with zero delay. You can push anything into your team inbox, be it by email, RSS feeds, tweets, or by using one of CA Flowdock's out-of-the-box integrations. Issue trackers, wikis, version control, deployment servers and customer support services are perfect integration candidates. You can even get content from your custom tools into your flow using CA Flowdock's API.
Team inbox items are visible in the same way to all flow members. If you're using a source with sensitive information, make sure the flow is restricted to those who should have access.
All team inbox items can be commented on. These comments will appear in the flow's chat, and all the comments for a single team inbox item will be grouped together as a conversation thread. Comments will only be visible to members of the flow.
Team inbox items can also be tagged by clicking the tag icon in the top right corner of the message. Finding tagged content later on is easy with the search.
Team inbox items can be deleted by anyone in the flow. This is done by opening the item and clicking on the trash can next to each integration message. When all messages in a thread are deleted, it will be removed from the team inbox. This action is permanent, and no-one will see the team inbox item anymore.
Great sources for your flow’s Team Inbox
What are you working on? Chances are there is a version control system or a specialized web service for editing and storing your work. Integrating your team's tools with your flow creates a window into what your team is working on. CA Flowdock integrates with a number of services.
Who is doing what? Project or task management tools can make your team work in harmony. Knowing what’s happening in the management tool is nice, and if you get notified in the inbox, it’s more likely that you can react faster. And since you know what everyone's working on, you don't have to waste your time in status meetings.
Getting content into the team inbox
Adding content into the team inbox is easy. To open your flow integration settings, from your flow, click the ellipsis icon next to your flow's name, and select Integrations. From the settings dialog, you can find your flow's email address and manage your flow's incoming content sources. If you're interested in integrating a specific service, read the integration guide.
Here are some common sources:
- Every flow has an email address. You can find it in the team integration settings. Save it in your address book and forward emails that you want to share to it.
- You can add new Email inbox sources. Each source has a unique email address and you can choose whether or not the messages are grouped to threads (if the message subject matches).
- If your tool sends email notifications, integrate it by forwarding the notifications to your flow's email address.
- By modifying the flow's e-mail address, you can automatically assign tags to emails that are sent to the flow. For example, the address
flow_name+todo+urgent@organization_name.flowdock.comwill automatically tag the email with #todo and #urgent. Please note that the name of the flow should always be first, followed by the plus-separated tags.
- To notify specific users, dots can be used to tag the email with usernames. For example, an email sent to
flow_name.Marty.Emmett+todo@organization_name.flowdock.comwill tag that email with @Marty, @Emmett and #todo. Send an e-mail to
email@example.com notify those who follow the @team group tag in the flow.
- #Hashtags and @user tags in the email's subject field are automatically converted into tags.
- Each flow's email integration is rate limited to a maximum of 150 messages per 15 minutes.
CA Flowdock comes with over 90 integrations to many popular tools and services.
- Many online services – wikis, blogs, ticketing systems – provide RSS activity feeds. You can subscribe to these feeds to get make the activity stream visible in your flow.
- Track web mentions with Google Alerts.
- Follow interesting blogs (e.g. competing companies, products you use, interesting people).
Team inbox item actions
Team inbox items allow you to perform specific actions based on the source and content of the item. You can find these actions by opening the item's context menu.
For example, you can reply to or forward an email using your email client. React quickly to whatever is happening, directly from CA Flowdock.